The history of the vicarage and church in St. Nikolai
From the Parish of St. Nikolai im Sölktal chronicle
Niklas von Tann donated the church in St. Nikolai in his will in 1338. The first official mention of it in documents originates from 1469. The church saint was chosen as a result of the lively trade over the Sölkpass, as Saint Nicholas is considered to be the patron saint of all travellers. As a result, Saint Nicholas churches can be found on every important trade route.
Important historical facts
From 1617 St. Nikolai was under the Parish of Gröbming, but did not have its own pastorate on site as a result of the small property.
Anton Vogelsanger from Kitzbühel donated 1200 Austrian gulden to the church in St. Nikolai in 1739 to hold services in the church. 300 Austrian gulden were also donated to set up a Confraternity of the Holy Rosary.
St. Nikolai became an independent vicariate in 1741.
It was elevated to the status of a parish in 1859.
St. Nikolai vicarage
The vicarage St. Nikolai was build in the mid-18th century. In 1940 it was said: “The vicarage is built on the ground floor and consists of 2 rooms. […] In addition there was also a kitchen and laundry room here. The top floor, which a wooden staircase leads too, is timbered out of wood and plastered with mortar. On the top floor there were four rooms, which have quite new windows and window frames.”
Saint Nicholas Parish Church
The St. Nikolai parish church’s origins date back to the 14th century. The church was converted between 1557 and 1609, it was restored in 1957.
The oldest part of the church interior is the high altar, which was donated in 1658 according to the inscription on the base. The left side altar was built between 1670 and 1680, the right side altar in 1743. Both altars have newer altarpieces. The pulpit was build in the second quarter of the 18th century. Three religious saints are depicted on the pulpit, including Saint John of Capistrano and Saint Bonaventura. Today’s altarpiece and the tabernacle were built at the end of the 19th century.