The house’s history
There was probably a vicarage for the Priest of Söchau right from the start. As the earliest official mention of the Vicariate of St. Veit in Söchau under the Riegersburg parish priest in documents originates from 1418 in connection with a Hungarian invasion. The border location also led to robberies: by the hajduks in 1605 and kuruks in 1704.
In bygone times, every priest ran a farm and had servants for this. Which is why the Söchau vicarage built around 1730 is also relatively large. In the inventory from 1861 it says: “The Söchau vicarage is situated at the end of the village of the same name on a gentle hill 30 steps away from the church, is solidly built with one floor and covered with roof tiles, and consists of one ground floor that has an attic plastered with tiles. In there vicarage there are 5 rooms on the 1st floor and 6 rooms and 3 chambers on the ground floor.”
Saint Veit parish church
The church’s origins date back to the 12th century. The nave was modernised into Baroque style between 1662 and 1667, the church was given its onion tower in 1780. The church is dedicated to Saint Vitus/St. Veit. The statue of him inside originates from 1520.
The church is first mentioned in 1418. Leading to the conclusion that Söchau might be one of the oldest villages in eastern Styria. According to this, the church was probably already standing in the 12th century – as the sister parish to Riegersburg.
A defensive churchyard with a 2.5 m high tabor masonry wall armed with embrasures was built around the church in the 17th century and is one of just a few that remain intact today.
Very little is known about the impact of the Turkish Wars on the small village. Many fortifications in the surrounding area, e.g. the Riegersburg castle, give some idea of the constant and great danger that the Ottomans were to the region. There is also a legend about this:
The farmers from Söchau and the surrounding area apparently took the law into their own hands, advanced towards the Turks and challenged them to a bloody battle just outside the Heavenly Kingdom near the “Edeltor”. Many of the Turks were killed by the farmers and buried on the spot. This spot is supposed to have been haunted for a long time, a blue flame could be seen on dark nights.